Thursday, May 26, 2011

The fine line between sympathy and condemnation for the McCanns

Post  carmen Today at 19:25
The fine line between sympathy and condemnation for the McCanns
Published May 12, 2011 Politics and Culture 6 Comments
Tags: Gerry McCann, Kate McCann, Maddie McCann, Madeleine: Our Daughter's Disappearance and the Continuing Search for Her, Madeline McCann, McCann Book, McCann conspiracy, McCann lie detector test, McCann Polygraph test, Missing Child, The McCann's


Feeling no sympathy whatsoever for the parents of Madeline McCann will not be a way of making myself very popular, but hearing Kate McCann talking this week about how she thinks someone tried to abduct Madeline the night BEFORE she was actually left alone to be taken from her bed, fills me with disgust rather than compassion.

As a woman, I put myself in the position of a mother and find it impossible to understand how this woman could leave a young child and two babies in their beds, in a hotel room in a foreign country, while she went out with friends, not once but repeatedly. Not only this, but she already had the suspicion that someone had been in the room and tried to take the children the previous night. How can one feel sorry for her? Kate told the press this week, on Madeline’s eighth birthday, that on the morning the abduction happened Madeline had asked why her mum and dad didn’t come straight to the children’s room when they were crying the night before. ’I never thought for one minute that there was something sinister’ is what she said, ‘I just worried, had she woken up and nobody had been there? But obviously, when we discovered she’d gone, it just seemed very likely to me that in fact, somebody had maybe tried the same thing the night before and had been disturbed, maybe when the children started screaming. There was something about it that just didn’t seem right.’

Meanwhile, Gerry McCann seems almost dismissive of their own responsibility for their children; ‘Who’s thinking about child abductions in a little sleepy out-of-season tourist resort? It never entered our minds. We felt very safe – it was a family resort.’

I’m not a parent yet myself, but I don’t know how anyone could feel like that, let alone say those words after their child had been kidnapped while they drank and ate a meal with friends. How can you ever be off-duty when it comes to your children?



It fills my stomach with an uneasiness to hear it. The whole world is expected to be moved to tears with compassion for this woman, this mother, because she’s lost her child, but where my sympathy lies is with a little girl who was left alone in a room, taken by a stranger, and then who knows what happened to her? The fact that that little girl was probably crying for her parents, frightened, and then has potentially been through the most unbearable ordeal subsequently, is a tragedy. When I see Kate McCann crying on the news, clutching Madeline’s cuddly cat, I don’t feel moved; I feel revulsion.

And, of-course, these new interviews and statements are not merely in honour of Madeline’s eighth birthday. The McCanns have a new book to promote. With the title Madeline: Our Daughter’s Disappearance and the Continuing Search for Her, and with the words; ‘All proceeds donated to Madeline’s fund’ (which presumably means the McCann’s bank account) on the front cover, the book is the latest publicity stunt in a long line. My less cynical self thinks that any mother in that position, myself included, would want to draw as much attention as possible to their missing daughter’s plight. However, I’m inclined to think that the attention the McCann’s solicit isn’t necessarily in Madeline’s interest alone.



Many online commentators and blogs have expressed the view that the book will do little to actually find Madeline, and that the price has already been reduced by half by Waterstones and other major retailers. There are many sceptics willing to broach the feeling that all is not right with the McCanns, and I tend to agree with them. After the initial welling up of empathy for the family, and the concern for a missing girl, cracks began to appear in the apparently perfect tragedy; none less than the McCann’s hire car, where blood was found.

I haven’t been able to make my mind up about the McCann’s, and I don’t really want to until we have real information and evidence about what happened, because none of us really knows one way or the other, what happened to Madeline. From the first day the news story broke,I’ve always felt concern for Maddie, but have never been able to overcome a certain uneasiness about the parents. Whenever I look at them, or read statements they’ve made, I can never make myself forget a nagging feeling that something isn’t right.

I think it started with what Kate apparently said when she ran down back down to the Tapas bar, after finding her daughter gone. I can’t track down the exact quote, but I remember clearly from the media at the time, what she cried out was; ‘They’ve taken her, they’ve taken her.’ Now, to me, this feels odd. Firstly, the use of ‘they’ implies that there is a specific person in her mind. Speaking speculatively, I would imagine that were I in that situation myself, I would be more inclined to say; ‘Someone’s taken her’, rather than ‘they.’ Who are ‘they’? It doesn’t feel right.

I’ve always held the view that they had something to do with it, which was made all the more plausible in 2007, when the McCanns first offered to take a polygraph test, or lie detector test, as a publicity exercise to prove their innocence, and then staunchly refused when the moment came. What would Jeremy Kyle say? If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about.

Of-course, this is only my own opinion and gut feeling, but instincts often turn out to be right on the money. My only hope is that Madeline is somewhere safe, and hasn’t been harmed. For a little girl to suffer would be horrific.



LikeOne blogger likes this post.

6 Responses to “The fine line between sympathy and condemnation for the McCanns”
Feed for this Entry Trackback Address
Tino
May 12, 2011 at 9:39 pm
Never in a million years would I leave my Tinks unattended anywhere, let alone abroad. She means the world to us and I would protect her with my life, so would my partner. We would happily sacrifice nights out to ensure her safety.

I/we. like you, have very strong misgivings about the whole situation and agree 100% that something just is not right about all the outpourings that have come from the McCanns.

I/we feel no empathy or sympathy for these two crass parents. Our hearts ache for a little girl, who never deserved to be neglected by her parents, and neglect is exactly what it was and they should have been prosecuted for that if nothing else.

Brave post, but staunch supporters of the same opinions exist.

Reply
Vikki Littlemore
May 12, 2011 at 11:44 pm
Thank you, it means a lot to know you agree. I was worried about a backlash about this article, and that people wouldn’t share my view, and would react angrily because of sympathy for the family, so I appreciate your support.

I agree with everything you said in your comment. At the very, very least, they are bad parents.

Reply
aaa
May 13, 2011 at 1:02 am
They are a revolting pair who change their story whenever it’s convenient to them. Want to throw up? Read page 129 of their book.

Scotland Yard and the Portuguse police are re-opening the investigation into Madeleine’s vanishing. I don’t think that’s good news for them. I think they like to wail and act hard done by. I don’t think they want to answer questions under oath and turn over records. It’s the same thing with the lie detector–when push comes to shove, they want to deflect.

Reply
Vikki Littlemore
May 13, 2011 at 12:50 pm
Thanks for your comment, I appreciate it. I agree with you, I think this new investigation could dig up some surprising truths. It will be very interesting to see how it pans out, and what happens.

Reply
Jennifer
May 14, 2011 at 12:32 pm
I do not have any sympathy for the McCans what so EVER being a mum (of one child) now grown and has children of his own)

There was a so called incident according to the McCans the night before so WHY were the children left on their own? Why put them at risk If indeed that’s what happened.

I cannot begin to understand how they could do such a thing. I don’t know how they can call themselves parents and they are so cold and sinister looking, there is not a warm look about them at all. Children are the most precious gift a person could EVER have. I know i could never be without my son He has always come first and foremost in my life It IS time now to have another investigation and get the truth out as to what happened to poor Madeleine and they should start by talking to the McCans and this time get the story straight not leaving any inconsistency’s that makes them look so guilty changing the story over and over.
Hopefully new evidence will come to light, and the people responsible will be caught and punished

Reply
Vikki Littlemore
May 14, 2011 at 12:40 pm
You said that perfectly! I agree with everything you said. You’re right about the cold look, I’ve always felt that. They’re somehow steely and robotic. I don’t want to pass judgement, because they might be innocent, but their neglect should still be accountable for, leaving their children.

Thank you very much for commenting, I appreciate the back-up.

Reply


http://vikkilittlemore.wordpress.com/2011/05/12/the-fine-line-between-sympathy-and-condemnation-for-the-mccanns/