Saturday, December 10, 2011

McCann Case:Leicester Cop Fired From Force

An award-winning police officer killed his wife and six-year-old daughter in a frenzied attack on his family just days after being sacked in a dramatic fall from grace.

Tobias Day, 37, seriously injured his two other teenage children before killing himself, detectives believe.

The horror attack in the semi-detached family home is believed to have been fuelled by his dismissal last Thursday from Leicestershire Police for misusing force computers.

On Friday night the force declined to comment on reports that Day suspected his wife was having an affair and had used the police computer system to search for information.

The former inspector, once described by police chiefs as "never off duty", killed his primary school teacher wife Samantha and youngest daughter Genevieve, and attacked Kimberley, 15 and Adam, 13, before taking his own life on Thursday.

The two surviving children are in serious but stable conditions at the Queen's Medical Centre in Nottingham.

Neighbours and colleagues were left shocked after the attack by the "respected" man as police confirmed he was fired for "matters concerning honesty and integrity".

Nigel Keep, the owner of a local cafe, said he spoke to Day last Saturday, and described the former inspector as "very depressed" after losing his job. The Times quoted Mr Keep as saying: "His head was down when he spoke to me and it had been a messy sacking. I didn't ask the details but he said even his bosses were shocked at the way it happened."

Ivan Stafford, chairman of Leicestershire Police Federation said Day had been a "very capable and respected inspector". "It's absolutely tragic what has happened," he said. "It's been a real shock to the country and to Melton. The force will need to come to terms with this, it is devastating."

The Independent Police Complaints Commission announced last night it would not carry out a formal investigation following a referral from Leicestershire Police.

 In a statement, the IPCC said: "We have decided the tragic incident can continue to be investigated by the East Midlands Special Operations Unit Major Crime Team without need for any IPCC investigation."